Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Live Gospel

  1. #1
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I got this e-mail from our musical
    director that another Church was go-
    ing to be needing a drummer for a
    special afternoon performance, this
    coming Sunday.

    I thought about it and people have
    done me favors so I said I'd go a-
    head and do it for them. Then, I
    got the tape.

    [img]eek.gif[/img]

    This stuff is very HIGH ENERGY! It's
    very Gospel/R&B and one is a VERY
    HEAVY, funk tune. Some of the tempos
    are really fast for my left-hand but
    I can push and there are a LOT of
    rhythmic kicks. One week to get this
    stuff down. I feel it a challenge.

    It's also very heavy on the kick.
    It's should be fun.

    I'll let you know how it comes off.

    For those of you who might be fam-
    iliar with these:

    1. We've Come This Far By Faith (Blues Shuffle)
    2. I Just Came To Magnify The Lord (R&B)
    3. Redeemed (Heavy Funk)
    4. You Are Good (R&B/Funk)
    5. He Reigns Forever (Reggae/R&B)

    I was just telling a young drummer
    that doing these types of jobs are
    great because they force you to
    think fast, emphasizing form and
    getting you in sync with the dir-
    ection of the music.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 06, 2004 06:44 PM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member XNavyDrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2002
    Posts
    871
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sounds like a cool gig Peter! Let us know how it goes.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Andy,

    We'll see what kind of instrumentation
    shows up for this. You never know with
    these last minute things.

    If it's anything like the tape, it will
    be wild. I hope there are the parts for
    the horns because that's always fun.

    If not, I may have to change some of the
    parts for the space.

    That's a subject for a good thread.

    I will let you know.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Groovemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2002
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ha ha!

    What a challenge! It's a great motivation to play when you get things that you might not be used to isn't it?!

    Please keep us informed and let us know just how you got on...

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! [img]wink.gif[/img]

    MP

  5. #5
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yesterday, I took out my notepad and began separating the sections of the tune. I 'cut' the Intros, Endings and Tags out, highlighting the Verses, Chorus' and Bridges. I am making my final notations for the tunes today.

    After I penciled some of that out, I went to the digital, with the tape in the headset and played through some of the Intro, Endings, Bridges and Tags, getting an idea of alternate parts and stickings that might be needed.

    I have a call into the director for more info on the intrumentation, which is up and coming. I hope we have the full compliment but there's no way to be sure, with these last minute things. It actually looks like their director is out of town too, which means I won't know until the very last moment. This can happen.

    No matter what happens, it was a great motivator to get my ears open and to translate under fire. I actually think that this kind of experience is very helpful to me. Everytime I do it, my ears get better at hearing and picking up things faster.

    I will let you know.

    [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    It sounds like it will be a fun gig. Kick some butt!

    Brad

  7. #7
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It turned out to be a lot of fun.
    Great singers. The instrumentation
    was not full but everyone played.

    It turned out I knew the tunes
    better than anyone. Go figure!

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Cesar Stefanelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10th, 2004
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Congrats my man!! Thats great Peter. Funny thing, its 4:46 am right now!I guess I should get some sleep! But Peter,Congrats man! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

    Cesar

  9. #9
    Inactive Member XNavyDrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2002
    Posts
    871
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Peter,

    Glad the gig went well! It's great when the charts are happening. I've played some charts recently where I don't believe the composer ever played in a band and did not understand the interaction between vocals, rhythm section and horns. It just sounded like layers of basically unrelated sounds, if you know what I mean.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Andy,

    It happens ALL the time, it seems.

    When I said it went well, I meant
    more for me. The players were not
    all ready for these tunes.

    The two directors worked in totally
    different ways - one very organized
    and the other not.

    During the performance, there was a
    lot of movement that got in the way
    of the eye contact that was needed
    between the players too.

    It probably went best for me. I think
    it could have been much better for all
    of us, had we worked together, more
    efficiently, though.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •